Justin Allyn Hall||
- Freelance Writing
- Coverage of entertainment technology; digital culture, video and mobile games, travel reporting.
- Publications include The New York Times, The South China Morning Post, Rolling Stone, Salon, Wired, The Feature, Online Journalism Review, XBox Nation, Feed Magazine (see a full list of articles).
- Public Speaking
- Panels and keynote presentations on web publishing, digital culture and video games.
- In Northern Europe, conferences including SIME and Reboot. In America, venues including the Rand Corporation, Lollapalooza, E3 Expo, Game Developer's Conference (see a list of speaking venues).
- Web Strategy
- Developing web sites and online publishing strategies for numerous writers, artists, businesses and content ventures.
- GX Media/Gamers.com, Berkeley/Richmond, CA, (August 1999 - January 2001)
- Gamers.com was a web portal covering video games and traditional games.
- Director of Innovation: content strategy, evangelism and project management.
- Playstation Editor: researching game content and links, writing articles, interviewing gamers, game designers and game publishers.
- ZDTV, San Francisco, (April 1998 - October 1998)
- ZDTV was the first American cable television channel devoted to technology.
- On-Air TV Host, "Web Workshop," weekly HTML tutorial and web education segment airing on national cable television. Wrote weekly articles for ZDTV web site.
- Electric Minds, San Francisco (July 1996 - January 1997)
- Started by author Howard Rheingold, Electric Minds was a virtual community portal - one of the ten best web sites of 1996, according to Time magazine.
- "Keeper of the vision": researcher, columnist, web site design and production, online promotions, virtual community hosting.
- HotWired, San Francisco (September 1994 - January 1995)
- HotWired was Wired Magazine's web site, and the first large scale commercial web magazine.
- Editorial Assistant: fact checking, net surfing, interfacing with contributors, assistant to Executive Editor Howard Rheingold, web site design and production duties, online promotions.
- Wired Magazine, San Francisco (June 1994 - August 1994)
- Wired Magazine was the official media organ of the digital revolution during the mid-1990s.
- Internship in the online department: web site design and production.
- Justin's Links from the Underground (January 1994 - Present)
- Composed one of the early successful personal web pages on the internet; featured in The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and in the documentary Home Page, shown at Sundance. (see a list of print references).
- Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA (September 1993 - June 1998)
- Bachelor of Arts degree: self-designed special major, "Meaning Context and Media"
- Activities: Disk Jockey, Student Newspaper, Literary Magazines, Radio Station Promotions, Web Publishing Tutorials, College Computer Society, College President Outreach Program
- Post-graduate study of the Japanese language at University of California Berkeley. Lived in Japan for 18 months in 2001-2003, studying the culture, history and media technology. Editor of Chanpon.org, a web journal about foreign-Japanese cultural mixing. Member of the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan, sitting on their ITPC committee. Developed personal weblog for venture capitalist Joichi Ito.
- Extended stays in Honduras, Japan, South Korea, Ireland, Nebraska, France and Scandinavia. Shorter visits to Mexico, Morocco, Egypt, Russia, Thailand, Nepal, Italy, France, England, Canada. A Greyhound bus trip across America in 1996 staying with people met on the internet.
justin hall | <email@example.com>