these are links I collected from 1994 to about 1995 or 1996. So if they actually work, well, woah!
In our world both enriched and fractured by diversity, it is important to be able to connect to other communities, to see what is happening with other groups of people. This is a page of resources to help you track down different communities both local and global as they are reflected on the net.
- While notoriously underrepresented in the world of computers, the Women Homepage, maintained by Jessie Stickgold-Sarah at MIT, will help you find women on the www.
- Now there is a page coordinating resources for Kids at Kids Internet Delight. A brief but fairly complete list of stuff that kids would like to look at. Includes stuff as commonplace as the Virtual Tourist Information site, but also has some links to schools and other pages published by kids.
- Art McGee has put together a fantastic list of Black-African Related Resources including FTP, Gopher, Telnet, WWW, etc. that pertain to Black or African people, culture and issues around the world. There is also a lot of diversity-related stuff here. A great site for looking into any of these issues. Also at this server, but not a part of McGee's list, is the African Studies WWW links page. If you've been looking to find the presence of this continent online, start here.
- There is a homepage that offers a view of the web in Spanish for the millions out there for whom this is their primary language. On an English-centric network, this is a small gesture.
- For a crack resource concerning homosexual issues, one need look no further than the Queer Resource Directory. If they don't have it, it ain't out there yet.
- The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information has pages about drug use of various American minorities in their "Prevention Primer"
- There is a list of Judaism and Jewish Resources. On it, you'll find software and links to web, gopher, and ftp sites related to Judaism and the state of Israel. It looks like this guy has really done a first class job collecting related resources from across the board.
- I have put together a short list of Native American Net Resources focusing primarily on webbed stuff
- In the wonderful category is definitely Plugged In - bringing technology to kids in low income areas. They have put online their videos, their drawings, their stories, their voices. Right on!
- A prime example of community and computers is The WELL. Many of the best and brightest in the computer world gather in this online community centered in Northern California - check out their home pages and some of their projects.
- Various, mostly European, International Home Pages from the Home Page of Poland. If you'd like, go ahead and download a big graphic that was taking up too much loading time that reads TERAZ POLSKA.
- For a list of Latin American servers, as well as links to other type of Latin American resources, check out the Latin American Network Information Center. Features a country by country list of web servers and gopher resources for Latin America.